Monday, November 5, 2012

I hope that it stays like this for a while

I hope that the weather stays like this for a while.  However morose it might seem, I love that a blanket of fog has settled over the city like an ikea duvet on my king size bed.  It is gorgeous to look out of your window and see nothing but the hazy grey clouds as they settle listlessly over the city.  The buildings that you do see seem to disappear towards the upper floors, and give off the impression that they will just continue upward indefinitely, and the lights from their windows ignites the entire sky making the whole city brighter, and almost makes it so one doesn't need to drive with headlights on.  There are of course other reasons I love this weather. It is a totally appropriate excuse to just stay inside.  It means that we are only weeks away from Christmas, and by extension snow, and by extension...again...vacation.  It also means sweats. wait. what?

I'm just kidding, if there is one thing I HATE about this time of year it is that everyone suddenly thinks sweats are an appropriate substitute for pants.  I'm pretty sure I've ranted about this before but can someone, anyone, please explain to me why people think that sweats are alright to wear around a campus, or an office or wherever.
Don't get me wrong, I totally understand going to the gym and wearing sweats, and then thinking "ohhh I forgot a belt, well it looks like I'm wearing sweats until I get home."  I"ve done that once or twice, but as soon as the belt has been acquired the sweats come off and the pants come on.

My problem with sweats is that the vast majority of people I see wearing sweats, have not done just that.  sweat.  I can count on one hand the number of people who are at the gym while I am there.  That is a pretty good indication that I shouldn't be counting 40 or 50 people walking around looking like they presently left the gym.  The only other explanation is that they are lazy.  Literally.  9 am is not early.  I don't think I am asking too much of you to shower and present yourself with a modicum of self respect.

There are a few exceptions that I will explicate here.  As far as I can tell, this list is complete, and unless you fall into one of these categories then I shouldn't see you in anything less than jeans.

1.  pregnant women.
lets be honest, they get a pass because of the life draining parasite miracle of life they have growing inside of them.  Pregers women, you just go right on ahead doing whatever you want, and if you feel like eating a 7/11 chili dog at 8 in the morning, well you go right on ahead.
2. people on their way to the gym
If you are going to the gym, by all means, wear sweats.  HOWEVER, that means you should probably adorn yourself in the appropriate aerobic accoutrement.  Sweats, uggs, a hoodie, your purse, and a coffee do not gym clothes make.  don't think you can just say, "ohhhh, I'm going to the gym later" that means jack squat.  Later could be in 9 hours, and doesn't give you the right to walk around, un-showered, and disheveled for the entire day.
3. sick people
Sickos, you wear sweats, just don't leave your apartment.  if you are sick enough to not get dressed, then you are probably sick enough that I don't want to see you.

3 comments:

  1. I do not own sweats. I also have not been going to the gym regularly since moving here. . . I think if I bought (and wore) sweats I would probably go to the gym more, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks for the free pass Will!! you rock my world, however the thought of eating a 7-11 chili dog at any time of the day makes me a little ickish in my stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blurker here . . . P.E. teachers get a pass to wear sweatpants.

    ReplyDelete