I went jogging-I don't get to go jogging much anymore. Crossfit involves a lot more rowing, but at last count I have 12 HUGE popped blisters on my hands because of those workouts. I figured I better give them a break and let them heal. I also went mostly to just feel connected to my cousins who ran a Ragnar race this past weekend. I'm so proud of you guys, and I promise to be there next year.
It rained, and this somehow changed the entire makeup of our weather here. Now we have a taste of Autumn in the air. Although that actually might sound depressing, to anyone who knows me they will remember that I generally don't like hot weather. For me, Fall and Winter are the best times of the year because I get to wear sweaters and coats (and I can avoid ironing shirts except for at the cuffs and collars :) ).
Mass-Right on campus we have a gorgeous cathedral with bright blue and red stained glass windows in it. Today was the mass of the Holy Spirit, a jesuit tradition for at least the past 500 years. It was so beautiful to gather with much of the student body and to pray for the Lord to bless us in our academic endeavors. This didn't make up for the lack of a fathers blessing, but we're all a little spread out, so I guess I'll have to wait till Christmas to see my parents. It was a beautiful service, and was led by the President of the University. AS we walked out we all got the opportunity to shake his hand, and for most people he was just saying "thanks for coming" but for me he complemented my tie, and my fedora. (This guides me back to my last point. Fall is the best time of year). He might not know what kind of scholarly work I've produced for his school, but he loves my ties, and that is all that matters.
To end the day--and really the last great blessing I'll talk about here--I got a call from the movers, and my new mattress will be here in the morning. For my birthday my parents helped me buy a king size mattress. Some of you might scoff at this and wonder why I need something so huge. Remember that I'm freakin, tall and sleeping is almost an olympic sport for me--I move around a lot. THis has been hampered by 6 years of sleeping on twin sized mattresses. you don't know how uncomfortable sleep can be until you realize your feet can touch the floor while hanging off the foot of your bed while your pillow and head are still at the other end.
As I type this I realize that it isn't the presents that make me happy on my birthday--as it was when I was a child. It is knowing that I have people around me who love me, and seeing the little blessings all around that I know are for me. Most people hate the fall and the cold, but the Lord gave me that yesterday, and I might not be home with my family, but he has placed me here in a great place in Omaha where I've made a lot of friends, and he's given me Facebook. each and every post by someone brings back a flood of memories.
I hope that anyone reading this will find value in my life lesson, and be able to say that tomorrow is going to be the first day of the rest of their life where they find and appreciate the little blessings the Lord throws our way.
Happy birthday to me, and Happy Start-of-the-rest-of-your-life-day to you.
and here is a second gift to my readers. I hope you enjoy this video because it always makes me laugh
No comments:
Post a Comment