Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent and other stuff

For the past few years I've observed Lent. It certainly isn't a required practice in my denomination, but I've had several catholic friends who've talked to me about it. I know very little about the ins and outs, but I love the fact that it is 40 days of sacrificing something in an attempt to draw closer to Christ. I'm at no loss of things to give up, in fact the hard part might be narrowing my "sin" down to just 1 or 2 manageable things. The last few years I've given up facebook for lent. I've actually really enjoyed this because I realize just how dependent my life is on social media--which I hate. I think I'm going to try that again. I wish i were in a position to completely give up media, but I'm so dependent on the internet for school, and work, and with my phone barely getting cell phone coverage the internet is the only way I have to stay in touch with friends and family. I think, as a way to fill my time with other activities I'm going to rededicate myself to my blog. I haven't written as often as i'd like, and I've had some great experiences which I haven't shared with anyone. So here comes my rant for Lent. Mark Twain once said something to the effect of, any library without a copy is Jane Austen is still a complete library. I don't know why he hated her so much. I'm sure she would look at his literature and say, "well that is just a bunch of crap, and what irresponsible children. WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS!!" I know that I actually use that line all the time, "What is with all these children? where are their parents?" This is quickly getting off topic--I have the attention span of an ADHD kid on crack. I don't know what his problem with her was, but I actually like her. I even miss having classes that required me to read her stuff. More than anything i lament the loss of her society. say what you will about her writing style, or her characters, or anything else, but please leave her culture alone. I LOVE the civility which her novels attempt to capture. We live in a world that has lost all notion of civility and decorum. I walked to the grocery store yesterday, and greeted everyone with whom I crossed paths with a hello, or a how are you. no one responded. In fact, no one even looked me in the eye. it was actually really pathetic. Civility isn't just lost on random strangers. I've even noticed it among acquaintances. There are a lot of people that I would like to smack in the teeth because they just don't seem to get it. Where were/are their parents? How is it that parents have completely given up on raising their children to be respectful. it makes me sad. On a positive note, I have discovered Spotify. this is a music streaming program like Pandora. I personally feel it is superior. if you don't have it I recommend it. Look up a few songs; Girls just wanna have fun by Emile Autumn, Holocaust of Giants by Rasputina, and just generally enjoy the exploration.

1 comment:

  1. As a "social media strategist" PR practitioner, I'm not in a position to give up Facebook entirely, nor do I think I'd like to. However, I'd like to make my time there more qualitative rather than quantitative. I do waste too much time on Facebook...

    Anyway, best of luck with your Lenten sacrifice! Here's what I'm giving up (http://studyofmattology.blogspot.com/2012/02/sacrifices-for-lent.html). And if you really miss all of those classics so much, you should join me in reading 'The Pilgrim's Progress' (details in the post).
    M

    ReplyDelete