Monday, February 13, 2012

the sound of silence

There is a sign posted at the door of the library which reads thus, Silence is expected To maintain this tranquil place of learning, I--long ago--decided that I would conduct all phone conversations out in the lobby where I can't possible disturb anyone. The general populace here at Creighton is fairly polite when it comes to library etiquette. However there are a few who don't seem to understand what constitutes a breach of the library's expectations. 1. The gamer. Lets start here because it is happening behind me as we speak. we might be so accustomed to this noise that we forget it even exists, but the clicking of a mouse is actually a noticeable thing. While it is generally not a big deal the kid behind me is about ten seconds away from being punched in the mouth. Lets try an experiment. go to your mouse and click the buttons as often as you can, this will be synonymous with a woodpecker chiseling into your brain. Now, keep doing it. don't stop, no. Keep going. you've probably made it about twenty or thirty seconds before your finger gets slightly exhausted--or quanked as i learned today. Now imagine that noise continuing for 20 MINUTES. unbelievable. I don't think I would mind except that this noise is managing to pierce through my Beethoven Sonata, and the Mozart Requiem before that, and the Strauss waltz before that. Furthermore, sweats and a t-shirt do not an ensemble make. They also do not cover up to the fact that you haven't showered yet, as evidenced by your hair which is matted to one side of your head while looking like you just got in a fight with an egg beater on the other. Please don't use my library for your gaming exploits. if you need to level up, do that on your own bandwidth, and not while I'm trying to research theology and Renaissance art. 2. the phone talkers. Please relegate your conversations to the same lobby I use. No one wants to hear about how you got so drunk you passed out in the frat house and don't care how many people you might have done things with. Syphilis--like sweats and t-shirts--does not an ensemble make. lets not brag about what things you might have contracted during the weekends kegger. As an added note can we talk about obnoxious cell phone rings. This is why I don't think children should be given cell phones. They don't get it, and they don't know how to be polite with it. 3. the gormandizers. This is one that I'm totally guilty of right now, but I figure that since I'm not offending on the other two, that I'm safe. Also I'm not chewing gum. Could there be anything more repellent than gum? The constant smacking, and clicking, and bubble popping, it is just all too much. To my recent memory I can think of no one that I felt it was okay for them to chew gum. A lot of people bring food to the library. I totally get that, in fact I have a medley of carrots green beans and mushrooms with a vegetable dip at my kiosk right now. When one spends an entire day in the library one must be prepared in order to maximize ones time. Also I don't want to give up my killer kiosk to go and grab food. Well I think this is a good starting point for the blog posts. sorry i haven't posted very much this semester. I'll try and be more observant.

2 comments:

  1. Syphilis, like a level 99 dwarf rogue, is a badge of honor, to be worn proudly. Obviously. Education is an unnecessary caustic, plague upon humanity. Now excuse me while I return to my cave because there's far too much light here in this library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Occasionally, in law school (and more often in undergrad), we also had to put up with the "Lovers." Yes, there were couples who would choose the Law Library or the Main Library (respectively) to pursue their median-level amorous goals...up to and including the "heavy petting." That, to me, is a bit more distracting than the sound of clicking keys, wafting B.O., and on a par with telephone mis-etiquette.

    ReplyDelete