I just want to start by saying thanks to Sal for her help with this one.
The transition that happens between the written word and the silver screen is often a rough one. There are just things that don’t go very well between the two mediums. I started reading a book that had been a TV show. I figured that the TV show would put a lot more smut in than the TV show than in the book. I was wrong. I put the book down after several pages and was really disappointed.
One can only imagine how skeptical I was when I started reading an epic call Game of Thrones. It was recently made into a tv show on HBO. Before I even downloaded the free sample I asked as many people as I could what their thoughts were. I was informed that the TV was without comparison more inappropriate than the book. I decided to download the free sample and see where it took me. I made it almost 300 pages into the free sample and felt just fine about the book.
I then found out that the book for the musical Wicked is way more sexually graphic than the musical. How do you make the Wizard of Oz sexual? The first thought that came to my mind was of Kristin Chenowith (I have no idea if that is spelled right, and I have no desire to look it up) walking around as Glenda the good witch, if by good you mean slutty. She’d probably be wearing pink frilly underwear with knee high stripper boots-just like David Bowie used to wear. On top of all that she would be using three or seven bump-its to maximize the size of her hair and there would be ribbons, lots and lots of pink ribbons. This doesn’t sound attractive at all, and yet this exactly what you hear advertized during Halloween, and it is really the only way I can imagine someone making Oz sexy. Maybe they were all just going to some themed party at a gay bar? Who knows. Either way it sounds like Glenda might have some serious daddy issues.
If someone has read that book, please don’t tell me about it. I’m actually not interested in Wicked, I just thought it would be funny to see where that train of thought went.
Oh dear...the musical of Wicked is AMAZING!! Just so you know, I love it dearly with all my heart. The book on the other hand...I am not generally an easily offended person. I am an open minded individual so in the first few chapters when he discusses in great detail the affair Elphaba's (the wicked witch of the west's) mother has with a traveling salesman and use of the F-word I let it slide. The book itself became more of a political piece about equal rights and fighting for what you believe in I was okay with that...and then Elphaba began having an affair of her own and towards the middle of the book they went to a sex club and an orgy ensued and I was done. It just got too weird and difficult to read! So that is my humble opinion on the skankiness of Wicked! :)
ReplyDeleteWill, you know me. I heart English with my whole soul. I HAVE to finish every book I start, bad or not. Wicked is the only book I've ever put down 1/2 way through and had ZERO desire to pick back up. It's rotten. That's all I'll say.
ReplyDeleteI need to object here--for the record--to one little side issue.
ReplyDeleteIn no UNIVERSE can anything be done to make Kristen Chenoweth "sexy."
Nope. Nada. Can't be done.