Thursday, August 11, 2011

Too many chefs in the kitchen or why I don’t like useless people bossing me around.

Isn’t there that rule that you aren’t supposed to end a sentence with a preposition? Should the title be “Too many chefs in the kitchen or why I don’t like being bossed around by useless people.” That actually sounds pretty legit. So. Just pretend that it was what I wrote in the first place.

I just want to start by saying that I love collaborative projects. When a group of people get together with a unified purpose there are often remarkable results. Sometimes that is not the case. Here is my biggest concern, and by concern I mean problem. What generally happens with collaborative work is that I end up listening to everyone’s ideas—even the poorly organized ones—and then have to try and make something work. This usually turns out to be someone not thinking things through but just barking out orders as if they already had it planned.

“Oh well just put the desk in that corner.”

“Well it won’t fit through the door.”

Oh no it will fit, just push it through.”

No you don’t understand. I would need to take it apart in order to make it through the door.”

“Oh no you wouldn’t it will fit.”

Well guess what? The desk doesn’t fit and so I had to take the desk apart. Then while I’m taking the desk apart I have several people barking orders at me.

“Use the hammer.”

“Just pull it apart”

“Maybe if you try it from the other side.”

How about we just let me work. I can actually see what type of head we have on the screw, so let me just work. No I don’t want to use a butter knife, and no I don’t think a hammer will help at all.

I don’t mind working with people. I love having people who work with me because they often can solve a problem that I can’t. The key word being-WORK. If you are just sitting there barking orders, get out of my face. If you want to get dirty then, please, jump in all you want, but if you think yelling repeatedly into my ears is going to fix the fact that the desk mathematically won’t fit through the door, then you’ve got another thing coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment