Well I have to say that when they showed up I got a call at 6 AM from PODS I was a little annoyed. They just needed to verify that I had signed everything before they could unload my storage container.
As I stood out in the early morning—the sun beginning to creep over the Wasatch mountains—I realized that my time of procrastination was done and I needed to pack up and move. I wasn’t ready for the angst and anticipation associated with this move. I figured it would be easy to pack my things off and trek eastward. I hadn’t anticipated the fear I felt as I would be leaving all the great relationships I’d built. Dinner the night before with my friends certainly wasn’t making this any easier. How would I get along without these people. We’d sat by each other in church, we’d gone to FHE together and laughed at hilariously campy British TV shows, and we’d even spent our nights studying at Sonic Burgers.
I might seem social, but I am really shy, and it is often the most difficult thing to get me out of my comfort zone and get me making new friends.
I tried diligently to pack, but it still just wasn’t happening. I don’t know why. I think my abilities to organize and clean are rivaled only by my ability to procrastinate everything. Fortunately Sunday came. No work should be done on the Sabbath. One more day of not having to pack.
I drove up to visit some family friends before the serious packing began. When I came out of their house my car was missing. Needless to say, I was slightly shocked. This was the car I needed to drive to my new home. How was I going to drive anywhere without a car? Furthermore, What happened to my car?
We ran out into the road and noticed that it was in someone’s driveway. I felt so relieved that it hadn’t been stolen, but my relief was quickly replaced by sheer terror as I noticed that there were other cars already in the driveway.
I wish somehow that I could diagram what a terrible scene of carnage I saw before me. Their driveway was occupied by three vehicles. My jeep had smashed into the second—completely crushing the entire area known as the trunk—and knocked that vehicle into the third, and then both of them into the house.
My rear taillight was askew.
This was not necessarily what I needed before I made a cross country trip. AS my mother said, “perhaps the Lord needed me to be in an accident,” and I think he did. My jeep made it all the way here without any problems. When I got to Omaha the frame holding my spare tire on snapped. I took this as a sign that the Lord was watching out for me. It could have happened at anytime, but it happened right when I was home with access to a welder.
This was my sign from the Lord that everything was going to be all right with school. Whatever apprehensions or reservations I had about coming here were minimal, just like my tail light. Whatever real problems happened would be taken care of quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment