Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My New Place

So housing is a total pet peeve of mine. Student housing is the worst, it seems like you never actually get what you sign up for, and you end up with a real dump that has more mold on it than a penicillin dish. Finding housing out in Omaha was a total chore. First, it isn’t like provo where EVERYTHING is made for students and you can just sign a lease with a friend. No, this was legit housing. I needed to find a person who was renting a room, and this leads me to my second support for the chore status. Not only are you trying to find a place, but you are people shopping. You need to find people that are compatible with you.

I took a real gamble moving where I did, I’d pulled the trigger and the chamber was empty, but to be TOTALLY honest I was waiting for a bullet to blow my brains against a wall. When I first pulled up I almost left my car packed—just in case something better magically presented itself. I decided against this approach mostly because it is ridiculous, and also because I thought it would be temporary and I’m always in the mood for an adventure. Besides it would give me good fodder for my blog.

Let me just skip all the buildup and say that I love my roommates. We have a great dynamic and I feel we get along really well. (odds are they are sitting at home thinking the exact opposite, but this is my blog so deal with the lack of their opinions). No all kidding aside, we really do get along great. B is studying to be a dentist and M is in conflict resolution. The other night we went out to dinner in downtown Omaha. I won’t tell you the whole story because it is long and vulgar, but lets just say it involved a foul mouthed troll, a novelty gift shop/possible sex den, some fellow shoppers and their baby, and our escape. The sign was misleading. We thought it was a candy store. It wasn’t.

These two have made my time in Omaha a blast. When I first got here I was thinking it was going to be totally temporary, but now that I’ve met them I realize that it isn’t difficult to make friends when they are as great as these two. B is really funny and is always thinking of others and ways to serve them. M loves just taking care of people and cleaning and actually having a house instead of just a place to sleep. I hope that this is a friendship that will last well beyond out time as students.

No comments:

Post a Comment