Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Great Expectations Or How I was Disappointed by Hollywood--the Halloween Edition

My usual morning routine consists of cereal (with a schmeck of granola) maybe a glass of a NAKED fruit drink, and a little catching up with HULU on what happened last night on television. This morning, as I was preparing my cereal, HUlU's scrolling menu informed me that "Bram Stoker's Dracula" was available. I love all thing Gothic! I've even started this movie several times, but I usually fall asleep about ten minutes in. The thought of Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves playing british people actually terrifies me. I'm never one to turn away from a good scare so I decided to give it another go.
I often wonder if te people who made this movie have ever actually read Dracula. I highly doubt it.
Besides Winona's terrible acting my favorite part has to be the funny faces that Keanu makes while trying to speak with an accent. He actually contorts his face when he speaks--probably because he knows that everyone is waiting for him to mess up. Anyway, for those of you thinking to watch it, I would say proceed with caution. They take a lot of artistic liberty with the story. watch maybe ten minutes, turn it off, and then come and ask me how the movie should have gone from there.

1 comment:

  1. Man, Keanu is so terrible. Have you seen him in Much Ado About Nothing? Doesn't even attempt an accent - and thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete