Ladies and Gentlemen. It is confirmed, I have eye-herpes. Actually, it isn't confirmed at all, but I do look vaguely similar to Sylvester Stallone after filming all the Rocky movies. For some reason my eyelid is swollen as if I just got the crap punched out of me. Since I haven't been doing any fighting, we're going with the next logical explanation. Eye-herpes (i'm sure there are actually a hundred other possibilities, but none of them are as cool as this one). Don't worry, I doubt it is contagious...since I have no idea how I got it or what it even is. E, my dr. in training, helped me do a little research through a-more-reputable-source-than-webMD. She decided it was also not eye-herpes, but couldn't decide if it was something more serious. Her prognosis, "if the swelling doesn't go down in a day or two, I'd suggest you go see a real doctor and have them prescribe you something." That seemed like sound advice, so here I am, just waiting for the eye-herpes to wane away.
It hasn't affected me like I thought eye-herpes would. I mean, when I get a cold sore it is painful, and I would rather not go outside or do anything at all. I sort of feel like a cold sore is a carte blanche to give up on life for a few weeks, I mean, no one wants to be seen walking around with open sores on their lips. It is like Leprosy, but less cool because it is more common and less severe, ugh, what I'd give to see someone with leprosy.
Anyway, as I was saying. Eye-herpes didn't make me want to give up on life at all. I even went to the gym this morning, and here is where my rant comes in.
Our gym facilities have a wall with three televisions facing several rows of cardio machines. I'll admit that sometimes it bothers me when I see a 50 year old stair climbing in front of a television set to Nick Jr. It seems a little odd, and it is slightly inconsiderate because it now means that one less tv can be tuned into something that would be beneficial to the gym population (similar programs that are deleterious to my health; the Food network, QVC, and Charmed--which, for some reason, TNT broadcasts every morning as if they just received this show from some nuclear bunker, and the CEO falsely assumes that no one has ever seen it before and is running a marathon of it. Seriously TNT, get some new shows!). While it might be slightly annoying to occasionally glance at the screen showing Nick Jr. because my shows are on a commercial break for cathode services (again, there isn't much on television in the morning except for AARP commercials, diabetes informercials, and Charmed. It must suck getting old) it all pales in comparison to what has happened the last few days.
Around 8 am an elderly gentleman wearing a track suit from the 1980's walks in, grabs the remote, and proceeds to change every television in the room to his shows. I don't really have a problem watching sports highlights-it gives me something to talk with S about. I don't really care which news show I watch--they are all talking about politics, and whether I hear it from one source or another, I'm still going to hate the candidates by the end anyway. What bugs me is that this guy changes the channels and then walks out of the gym! He doesn't get on the machines, and watch any of the televisions, he just leaves and goes down to walk around the track with--what I assume is a geriatric speed waddling group. Fox news isn't for everyone, and I totally understand not being interested in Charmed, which, since I don't have volume I'm unable to follow the story accurately but I can safely say that I think someone has gotten kidnapped by some D-list actors, and is being held in a poorly computer generated ice prison. All of this is beside the point. I just don't get why it is so offensive for this guy that anyone else wants to watch these shows. Who made him the police of media consumption? I most certainly didn't vote for him.
Oh well, there isn't much I can do about it, except feel pity while he waddles around the track getting angry that my Charmed stars just broke their buddy out of the ice prison. Happy jogging, and enjoy your eye-herpes. I'm off to start some homework I procrastinated over the break.
you are too funny! totally crying with laughter right now. I know exactly what you mean... about the gym... not Charmed of course... I would never watch that :)
ReplyDelete