Monday, October 1, 2012

you can't legalize responsibility...and my testimony.

Can I be real with you for a minute?  I am getting sick and tired of people expecting the government to fix all their problems.
This has little to do with Mitt, or Obama, it has little to do with the economy, it has little to do with healthcare reform, and yet it has everything to do with all of these, and more.  
Let me give you a little bit of background.
This morning while I was driving to the gym, I decided that I would listen to some talk radio instead of my normal classical fare, because, well, the classical radio station was broadcasting some odd sermon that made less sense than anything, and I frankly wasn't in a state of mind to think about the logical flaws in this preacher's argument.  I tuned into one of the local morning drive-time talk shows and settled in for what I was positive was going to be a rousing discussion of celebrity gossip.  
The hostess began by telling of a tragic car accident that happened this weekend where a recent high school graduate died when a tree jumped in front of his car( that was sarcasm.  his car hit the tree standing on the side of the road).  The preliminary investigation showed that there was alcohol and speeding involved.  While my heart went out to the family of this misfortune, it was quickly hardened by the turn in the conversation.  The hostess then related that her sister had been t-boned by another car who ran a red light.  While she was ultimately alright, the damage to the vehicle was irreparable, and she required some medical attention.  
The hosts then began discussing the need to require all vehicles to come equipped with little devices that would flash and beep, warning you that, at your present speed, you won't be able to drive through an intersection before the light changes red.  
This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard!
Do you know why?  Because the Government has ALREADY INSTALLED A BRIGHT YELLOW LIGHT INFORMING YOU THAT YOU CAN'T DRIVE THROUGH THE INTERSECTION BEFORE THE OTHER LANES OF TRAFFIC WILL START.  The Yellow light doesn't mean speed up, it means slow down.  

While this, in and of itself, infuriated me, it is simply the sign of a trend I have seen repeatedly.  
Here are a few examples.  

Education.  I have heard, recently, of parents who believe it is the job of the schools to make sure that their children do their homework.  Similarly, that it is the job of schools to make sure the students get to school.  NO.  it is the job of parents! It always will be your responsibility, just as it always has been, since the minute you had sex and conceived a child.  In deciding to participate in sexual activity you chose to take upon yourself every consequence that comes along with the territory.  

Debt relief.  People believe it the government's responsibility to fix their debt, and save their houses from being foreclosed on.  NO.  it is their responsibility.  No one was forced to take out 2nd and 3rd mortgages on their homes.  No one is holding a gun to your head and telling you to buy a new car, or a boat, or a timeshare.  You are the one who gave into your pride and said, "my neighbor has cool new toys, I want one too."  You decided to listen to your ego and live beyond your means, because you assumed that you could do whatever you wanted.  You DECIDED to not be prudent, and save your money, but rather to purchase, with reckless abandon, living beyond your means, all in an attempt to flatter your ego.  

I have worked in the financial world, specifically in bankruptcy, and my heart goes out to the hundreds of clients who were in bad financial situations because of medical debt.  They had been dealt a rough card, and were trying to make the best out of bad situation.  My heart was less softened by the hundreds of other individuals I saw, who felt it necessary to buy more toys, and larger houses, and then mortgage those items until they owed 5 and 6 times what their assets were worth.  
I have worked in education, and I feel terrible, and wish that there were more I could do to help the students work to get an education and to see the importance of it, but there is only so much I can do to ensure the future success of these young people. The bulk of the responsibility rests on the shoulders of the parents and guardians who need to make sure they teach the student how important an education is.  

My heart goes out to the children who have been born with addictions and diseases beyond their control because of the choices of their parents.  My heart does not go out to these parents who chose to engage in risky behaviors such as unprotected sex, drug use, alcohol consumption, etc.  

Before anyone accuse me of being prejudicial, I understand that there are countless mitigating circumstances.  Take, for example, the drunk driver.  He has grown up in a society that valorizes the engagement of risky behavior.  There is a machismo behind drinking.  It seems to be a rite of passage to consume alcohol and develop a tolerance for it.  maybe this person is depressed and they have been taught that drinking is a suitable way to relieve ones problems.  The problem isn't that the individual is drinking and driving, the problem is that, twenty steps before, this individual was taught that it is okay.
We can't legalize that this driver be responsible because he has already imbibed a substance which limits his ability to make rational choices.  Prohibition wouldn't work either.  This individual needs to be educated, from an early age, that drinking is going to lead to their death.  
Sex is the same thing.  you can say whatever you want about the government's responsibility to make sure you are safe from getting aids, or any other communicable disease, but ultimately, the responsibility rests on you.  You are the one who is deciding to engage in sexual activity with a partner who poses a risk to you.  No one is holding a gun up to you and forcing you to have sex.  

There are instances where someone is holding a gun up to your head.  Let us take the example of rape.  at this point, I can't think of anything more terrible than rape.  My heart breaks for the victims of this terrible crime.  The government needs to do everything it can to prevent and punish rapists, but even while writing this I experience some trepidation.  It shouldn't be the government's responsibility.  We as society need to stop teaching that rape is okay.  For those of you who don't believe that we do, I encourage you to listen to the popular lyrics of a song by Katy Perry called ET.  Listen to those lyrics, and then tell me that this song isn't advocating rape.  Listen to almost any rap/pop song and tell me that sex isn't portrayed as an action for male gratification, and that the individuals in those songs aren't treated as objects.  I believe that the porn industry encourages forced intercourse by portraying women as objects for male desire.  I believe that the solution to stoping rape rests on our shoulders as individuals, to make sure that our children are raised in homes where human life is appreciated, where pornography is abhorred because of its portrayal of human life simply as an object for sexual gratification.  

I wish that I had the time to go through and explain all my cases and arguments for each of these topics.  I can't.  I don't have the time, and I don't think I could do it justice here.  As I have said, there are situations where the government can help, but the responsibility to ensure that bad things don't happen rests on our shoulders as citizens, and human beings.  If we aren't responsible and wise, of our own free-will, then nothing the government can say, or do, or legalize, will fix it.  

At this point I want to say something about my religion.  I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I try my hardest to live the commandments, as I understand them. I try and keep these commandments, not because "the church requires me to" or because I have to.  I keep them because I choose to.
 To these commandments, I include the word of wisdom, which states that I not drink alcohol, or take drugs, but also that I try and nourish my body (I could write an entire book on this one commandment).  I live the word of wisdom because it helps me to keep a clear mind, and avoid those substances which would limit my ability to make clear choices.  

  I also believe in abstaining from sexual intercourse, except with my wife.  that means that I believe in abstinence (say what you want about abstinence being outdated).  This might seem outdated to a lot of people, yet it has kept me safe from EVER having to worry about contracting a disease.  

I believe in paying tithing, and fast offerings.  This means that I donate 10% of my income to the church, and that every time I fast i donate the funds that I would have spent on food to the needy and poor.  While the Lord has given a promise that keeping this commandment qualifies one to have the windows of heaven opened, it has also meant that I know from whence my blessings come.  part of me wants to have a new car, and a boat, and a new house, and yet keeping this commandment has given me a clear understanding of money management, and it has also helped me to realize that those things aren't important.  

I challenge anyone who reads this to do one thing.  look at the commandments, and read them in this light; not as God forcing you not to do something, but rather as God pleading with you not to do it because he knows what terrible consequences await those who do, and how easy life is for those who abstain.  

I also encourage anyone to comment on this.  I want to hear your thoughts, and learn from your experiences.  I have been speaking of the need to make educated choices.  please communicate, and educate me.  If you can present a valid argument why I am wrong, then I will change my opinion.  I will accept that I am wrong and will seek to correct that.  

6 comments:

  1. Still formulating thoughts for a possible response. Initial reaction: Amen, Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will I love that you just tell it like it is. You always say what I wish I could find the words to say but cant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and agree with you wholeheartedly. We live in times of entitlement where people expect to be free of the consequences of their actions, because that is how they have been raised by the generation that wanted to give their children all of the things they didn't have as kids. Admirable, but poorly executed. One of the things I've been thinking about a lot recently is the phrase in the scriptures, "God hath made us free." I've been pondering what, exactly, it means that God has made us free. It's obvious, I know, that God has given us agency, which makes us free to choose liberty and eternal life or captivity and death by how we choose to live our lives during mortality. But your post has put this in a new light for me - God has given us commandments, which many people see as the opposite of freedom. But you hit the nail on the head when you wrote that keeping the commandment of abstinence "has kept you safe from EVER having to worry about contracting a disease." When we keep the commandments of God, His commandments make us free - free from awful consequences like addiction, STDs, serving jail time, turning to temporary substances to relieve our problems when really all they do is cover the problems up temporarily. All of those consequences are things that enslave us and keep us from being free.

    Yesterday I taught Sunday School and our lesson was on Helaman 13-16 where Samuel the Lamanite preaches to the Nephites that they have sought happiness by doing iniquity. (Helaman 13: 27-28, 38) Basically, they've sought for happiness in their riches, costly apparel, and worldly, temporary things. One of the things we discussed in class was how we find true happiness - and that, of course, depends on how you define happiness. If all you're looking for is temporary happiness through living beyond your means, drinking to have "fun," having sex with whomever you want wherever you want, then you'll get exactly what you're looking for - temporary pleasure. If you're looking for lasting joy and the kind of happiness and confidence that comes from having the spirit with you and knowing that God is pleased with you, then you have to live a different way.

    I hope that makes sense - it's all related in my head. But the bottom line is that God has made us free to choose for ourselves, but that doesn't mean that we're free from consequences. It's just another one of the ways that the adversary has infiltrated our minds and led many to believe that we can "do this, and there is no iniquity; do that and ye shall not suffer...walk after the pride of your own hearts; yea, walk after the pride of your eyes, and do whatsoever your heart desireth."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear!
    Well thought-out and written. I'm on board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES, YES, YES. You're responding to the heightening concerns about the "entitlement generation"--that it's a teacher's problem when a chid doesn't do his homework, that it's the government's fault when I don't have enough money, that it's basically anyone's fault but my own when I get pulled over for a DUI/when I learn I have an STD/when, in whatever way, I fail to take responsibility for my OWN actions.

    This is the sort of behavior that I saw all the time as an EFY counselor (make fun of that as you will, but I'm serious), as a writing instructor at the undergrad level, and as a TA even in my graduate program. Imagine a law student (a freaking law student, supposed to be in charge of a client's needs in 3 years!) who blames the professor when he misses the deadline for turning in his paper. SERIOUSLY?

    I can go on, and on, and on. For now, Amen.

    ReplyDelete