Friday, October 19, 2012

I don't care who you vote for, you are wrong.

Some of you might be reading this because you are curious about the title.  You probably opened up facebook, noticed that I had digressed from my typical comedic tone, and now you're trapped.  Facebook has been ablaze with political rants, and commentary.  Each person posts something about a candidate hoping that it is going cause their friends to sit up and say, "well I was wrong, and my candidate is an idiot, and I'm going to vote for the other guy because he is honest and is the only one who can get our country back on the right track."  To you, and each of you I say, I don't care who you vote for, you are wrong. Let me explain why I can say that with the same surety as when I say, "I'm going to go and take a nap after this."  The reason is that I know 100% why you are wrong, and why I'm going to take a nap.

It might be easiest to do this with a video clip.



Alright.  This isn't the exact video I wanted to show, but it is close enough.  Recently I saw a clip from a show similar to this, about a man in Nebraska who trains people to be their own private military in case the political system fails.  He is sure that our societal infrastructure will crumble, and so he wants to be ready to protect his family from the roaming bands of robbers and rapists that will inevitably ensue.  In his defense he has probably watched Waterworld, or Mad Max, or some other apocalyptic movie one too many times, and is subsequently convinced that Hollywood's fiction can only be prophetic.  In each of these scenarios society crumbles and each person is left to fight for themselves.
While a lot of you are reading this thinking, "yeah those crazies terrify me too" you probably think that the answer is to make sure your candidate gets elected.  For this reason you are just as much of an idiot as the people who are getting ready to live like it is a movie, and you terrify me just as much.  The reason for this is that you fail to understand how politics and society work(and the relationship between the two).

If you really understand government, then you know that it is as lasting as a wisp of smoke.  It stands only as long as we allow the ember to keep going.  It stops only when we smolder the ember.  There will be no political apocalypse where there are no police, or other civic organizations because, as long as we continue to agree that they exist, they will.  Does this make sense to you?
Think about this.  If you started speeding down the road then a cop might pull out and turn on his lights, and try and pull you over.  You don't need to stop.  You stop because you have said the pledge of allegiance, and have decided that you are going to live in our society and abide by the laws.  If everyone gets together and decides that the speed limit on the road doesn't work then we can change it.  we all gather together and decide on what the change is.
Even if a disease, or a bomb, or a terror group comes in and wipes out, destroys, takes over Washington DC; society will continue to function as it always has as long as we continue to abide by the laws we've already committed to live by (when we spoke the pledge of allegiance).   Politics does not decide how society works, society decides how politics works(that might sound overly simplistic, but it holds).    

So now that I've laid out my analogy, lets look at politics.  It really doesn't make that much of a difference which candidate you vote for.  Sure, each one has their soapboxes, and each one is going to fight for,or against certain things, but very little will change.  No candidate can accomplish anything in 4 years.  That is the safety protocol put in place by the founding fathers.  Even in 8 years, or 12 years, or 16 or 20, not much can change, because we don't have a king with absolute power, we have a democracy with hundreds of individuals voicing their opinions.  Obama is not going to make you healthier, and his plans for healthcare reform won't make that big of a change in the long run.  Romney will not bring america back to a Gilded age of American economic standing where everyone owes us money, and we all live like the Carnegies and Vanderbilts.  They just can't do it.  The only way it would happen is if we had a completely unanimous Executive, Judiciary, and Legislative branches of government.
So please, for the love of all that is Holy, stop writing about how Obama is the antichrist spoken of in the book of Revelations, stop blaming Romney for getting rich off of the poor.  it isn't his fault that the housing market crashed.  Really, just stop this mudslinging.  It isn't productive.  It only shows how much of an idiot you are because you, like the apocalyptic nut job, are showing that you believe government to be all powerful.
Think back to JFK who said, "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."  What he was trying to remind people is that government and society work from the ground up.
There are going to be those of you who disagree with me.  I pity you.  I would invite you to go back and read my post on legalizing responsibility.  Society is falling apart.  Our economy is in the toilet, divorce rates are through the roof.  we spend more time worrying about hollywood and athletics than we do about education.  GOVERNMENT CAN'T FIX THIS.  it isn't their responsibility, and there is really nothing they can do.  If you have more debt than you can pay off, there is any easy solution.  stop spending money.  If your marriage is failing, well maybe it has to do with the fact that you spend more time on FB complaining about your relationship then in the other room talking with your spouse (or maybe because you're in one room looking at porn while your wife is in the other room sobbing).  Whatever your problem is, stop blaming other people (and governments, and churches, and schools, and stop expecting them to fix it, and get off your butt and go do something about it.

some of you are probably saying, "well Willhelm, why don't you get off your computer and go fix it"  To you I answer that I know what my issues are.  They are mine.  I am working on them.  I am well aware of the fact that I owe my parents thousands of dollars, as well as the 40 grand in student loans.  That thought is painfully apparent to me, and when I am driving down the road and I get hungry and I think "ohhhh I want a big mac (or whatever it may be)" I remember that I owe someone else money, so what do I do?  I go hungry for a few more hours.

Here is my challenge to my readers.  Think about what ails you.  This is going to take some time.  I want you to write it down on a sheet of paper.  I want you to take each of your problems and track its origin.  This is the easy part, because it will always come back to you.  if it doesn't then you've done something wrong, or you haven't gone far enough.  Then I want you to track what the solution is going to be SPOILER it is going to be you again END SPOILER.

thanks for putting up with me while I rant.  I'm sure that it might have been a little disjointed, but I think I pretty cohesively brought it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment